[rescue] Ultra 60, looking for CPU's, OS advice

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.us
Sat Dec 2 11:35:29 CST 2017

Specifically for OS advice, you probably recall that we have recently had
similar discussion(s) for others regarding pre-T series and pre-M series boxes.

Solaris 10u11 is available (and still supported) from Oracle.  If you're a big
OpenWin fan like myself, the OpenWin packages from your Solaris 8 CD/DVD's still
easily load and run here.

Illumos releases - Martin has OpenSXCE for SPARC.  I believe that Sonicle and
XtreamOS also have SPARC releases. I recall a couple of the other "OpenSolaris"
based distro's have SPARC releases, but their distro name is escaping me right now.

Solaris 11.x from Oracle.  You are probably already aware that pre T and M
series SPARC CPU support has been pulled from the OS.  I haven't really looked
at exactly what would be necessary to re-add that.  I can say that Solaris 11
Express should run fine, and from my perspective, has 99% of the goodness that
Solaris 11.x GA has.  YMMV.

BSD - don't recall the exact distro, but thing that others were successfully
running NetBSD on SPARC equipment.

Good luck, please post a follow up on what you end up with.

Jerry