[rescue] Ultra 60, looking for CPU's, OS advice

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Dec 1 11:25:05 CST 2017

On 12/01/2017 03:07 AM, Walter Belgers wrote:
> What OS can you recommend for the U60? Solaris 10 is a bit old, 11 does
> not work AFAIK. I came across Tribblix, but that does not recognise the
> onboard HME ethernet.

  There's nothing at all wrong with Solaris 10.  C, screwdrivers, you,
and I have also been around for quite awhile.  That, in and of itself,
means nothing.  Patches are a thing. (you have to have a friend, but
they are a thing)

  I'm surprised that Tribblix doesn't see the hme.  I'd contact Pete
Tribble about it.

  I'd run that (if you can get the hme working) or Solaris 10.

> Another thing is that the NVRAM died. I saw that on alibaba you can
> cheaply buy these timekeeper chips. I wonder if they are old stock with
> dead batteries or newly produced. I'm considering buying 10 of them to
> check them out..

  Pretty much all of them will be dead.  Lots of people have tried this.

               -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA