[rescue] Sun T5240 power supply failure?

Meelis Roos mroos at linux.ee
Thu Mar 3 16:18:04 CST 2016

> > I am afraid of rebooting an old box at $WORK that has had 2000+ days of
> > uptime - simply the hardware may have died somewhat and it may not start
> > up after a power-off.
>
>   That's a common and valid argument, but with mirrored system disks
> (plus periodic verification of mirror integrity) there's little actual
> risk.  There's very little hardware in nearly any common computer design
> that's only used during booting.

The disks are in RAID and verified monthly, I am not afraid of these.

Rather the mainboard from 2005 - bad caps are quite a possibility(*).

But the machine is almost clustered so another can take over its role in
case of failure.

(*) A friend had a IBM Netfinity failure after long uptime and a power
cycle - it asked for POST password that no-one remebered having set.
Official support offered to replace the mainboard (not cheap).

The solution was replcaing bad caps.

--
Meelis Roos (mroos at linux.ee)