[rescue] Sun T5240 power supply failure?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Mar 3 15:33:08 CST 2016

On 03/03/2016 04:06 PM, Meelis Roos wrote:
>>   Of course I can hear the screams of some of the younger admins,
>
> Yess, I can chime in - admin only since 1995 :)
>
>> "Uptime doesn't matter, the only things that matter are availability and
>> reboot time!"  Bullshit.
>
> I am afraid of rebooting an old box at $WORK that has had 2000+ days of
> uptime - simply the hardware may have died somewhat and it may not start
> up after a power-off.

  That's a common and valid argument, but with mirrored system disks
(plus periodic verification of mirror integrity) there's little actual
risk.  There's very little hardware in nearly any common computer design
that's only used during booting.

> Transporting a machine with UPS to save uptime seems like a fun project,
> but not necessary good for the final result (HDD-s and vibration etc).

  Obviously.  Give us a little credit. ;)

> But uptime itself really does not matter for me - predictability and
> dependability matters.

  Predictability and dependability matter to me...but so does uptime.
Uptime is, plain and simple, a measure of stability of the OS at its
highest-level view.

> Nope, running Windows seriously stopped with Windows for Workgroups :)

  Bravo. :)

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ