[rescue] Sun T5240 power supply failure?

Doug McIntyre merlyn at geeks.org
Thu Mar 3 16:04:14 CST 2016

On Thu, Mar 03, 2016 at 03:06:10PM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 04:24:29PM -0500, John Hudak wrote:
> >Many PC MB along with Apple all in one MB were
> >affected by the bad  caps.
>
> Yep, here's photos of me doing the iMac G5 17" midplane replacement.
> Later they switched to requiring people to send machines in for service,
> but I got in before they made that change.

My iMac G5 developed the common fried video RAM, that wasn't worth
getting fixed, at least not at Apple's prices, and a bit more
surface-mount soldering than I wanted to do.

I've replaced drives/displays, etc. in all the generations of iMac's
since then.  The current sticky foam tape sealed units are a pain, but
still workable by those with a tech bent. Overall reliability has
gotten a lot better for Apple gear since the G5 days. I sware in that
era, you had better had AppleCare, because sooner or later you were
surely going to need it. I don't bother now-a-days at work.