[rescue] Sun T5240 power supply failure?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Mar 3 10:59:50 CST 2016

On 03/03/2016 01:57 AM, Arno Kletzander wrote:
> Just taking two Inlet Modules and sticking them in one chassis probably is a
> REALLY STUPID idea (if not impossible because of the case panel), as AC mains
> is most probably just bussed internally between the two slots, meaning you're
> going to end up with exposed connector parts live, shorts if cables are plugged
> into different circuits or backwards, and maybe other unfavourable events. It
> would be imperative to implement some kind of isolation and failover logic to
> make that work safely.

  Nah, those issues aren't really concerns in a real datacenter
environment.  Someone making a smoke-releasing mistake like plugging
them in "backwards" somehow (which is next to impossible to do) provides
a good way to get rid of an incompetent employee in a critical environment.

  Multiple AC inputs are damn handy when "walking" a system between
sources of power for maintenance or relocation purposes.  I myself have
moved critical servers across town in a van without rebooting them.  One
can't easily do stuff like that without multiple AC inputs.

              -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA