[rescue] Sun T5240 power supply failure?

Peter Stokes peter at ashlyn.co.uk
Thu Mar 3 01:59:20 CST 2016

> adh at an.bradford.ma.us (Sandwich Maker) wrote:
>> i've always thought that while fc/25 was sun's own, the gbics - the
>> plug-in fiber r/t modules - were standard.  if true, many brands could
>> find their way under sun covers over the years.  iirc you can get
>> copper gbics, for situations which don't demand the distance fiber can
>> cover.
>>
>> in my own encounter with a sun ssa [in a y2k project] i learned from a
>> sun fse that the original ssa gbics were prone to failure, as he
>> replaced ours.  i may have gleaned the above gbic intel from him.
>
> That's my understanding as well, but - those FC/25 modules used there do
> not come in the usual GBIC form factor (closed matchbox shaped thingie
> with subminiature Amphenol connector on one end and fiber Transmitter/
> Receiver on the other) but are PCB modules that piggy-back onto an sbus
> card or system planar with a perpendicular 4*10(?) header. So it looks
> like _that_ interface (for which I don't even know a name) must have been
> a standard in its own right.
>
> Arno

Interestingly the Fibre Channel Spec includes a 266MBit version, so suspect
somewhere along the line it was deemed a 'standard' . I would also guess the
connector layout and shape of the 'GBIC' was adopted from an existing design
as a de facto, it was only with the true GBIC (1Gbit) that the whole standard
with a proper connector came about.