[rescue] Sun T5240 power supply failure?

Arno Kletzander Arno_1983 at gmx.de
Tue Mar 1 00:55:02 CST 2016

Message: 4
On 02/28/2016 23:13, chris t wrote:
> Anyone else see this sort of thing happen? I'm pretty spooked, to be
> honest.

Never had my hands on a T series yet, but I had a PPS(?) module (the
oblong rectangular power supply block without IEC inlet) on a Ex000
class machine go "bang" on me upon powering the machine up. It had
been working the day before, so not the usual capacitor breakdown
after years of no use. I still have it there, waiting for repair; a
MOSFET on a heatsink was blown apart and the inrush limiter resistors
now measure open circuit as well, and the breaker in the distribution
box had tripped.

Other than that, a small APC UPS (420?) shot a shower of sparks
out through its venting holes when I attempted a cold start (without
mains power available). Replaced two fractured MOSFETs and had
the thing work again for a couple more years before it started to go
crazy one night with beeping and clattering of relays. I've been
after that problem on and off for a couple of times now as I really
liked that unit in the place where I put it (I had my VHS machine,
my satellite receiver and my game consoles on it through a IEC-to-
socket strip cable) but no success yet. When the unit is cold,
it will work for about a day and a half, then do the same dance
again; spraying the usual suspect components with cold spray did
not restore function so I don't know where to start.

So long,

Arno