[rescue] Tektronix 4051 software?

Richard legalize at xmission.com
Wed Jul 27 12:21:57 CDT 2016

In article <CAHQ+QWAJ-E9QL=6=zF=h_QTiif1h=iMwHG58x4uQ_0ZXqVU3-g at mail.gmail.com>,
    Ian Finder <ian.finder at gmail.com> writes:

> Trying to get this thread back on topic here after the pointless "We're
> better than Arduino" tirade...
> According to Josh, the BASIC can't read and write all parts of the tape--
> namely what are likely non-basic files, and there's really no good way to
> run assembly on these.

I seem to recall that people found a way to hack in assembly bytes
into their programs.  Most of the Tek 4051 user group newsletters are
on bitsavers and I think this is mentioned in one or two of them.

> So we would need some kind of tape controller emulator like Richard
> proposed to cover the 405X series.
>
> If such a thing were built so that we could copy tapes, what would we get
> out of it? Does anyone have a list of the software that was distributed for
> these?

The newsletters have listings of available software, but I don't know
how much of that has been archived or even exists on media at this
point.

<http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/tektronix/tekniques/>