[rescue] SCSI2SD formatting

CLIFFORD HAIGHT klemish at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 24 18:49:13 CST 2016

I picked up a second SS10 for the price of shipping, I am not sure if I want
to use it as a backup of keep it around for parts  or what have you.
Basically I head no idea what I was getting, although that I knew is that it
was a working pull.
Chassis was really beat up but had 4 16mb chips a SunGX card, Ross 100Mhz
processor in and two HDs.
The hard drive had be be reformatted and are really loud, one makes a really
loud clunky sound when starting up.
Drive0 is a Seagate drive which I think was recognize as a Sun635
Drive1 is a Seagate ST11200N, I think this one is the one that making the
clunk noise.    I had to low-level reformat this drive.
So I am thinking about putting the Conner driver in this second SS10 and is
pretty quiet.

My plan with the SCSI2SD is to set one partition as SunOS 4 drive, one
partition with Solaris 8 and one for FreeBSD/Linux TBD later.
I was going to allocate the section 4 as a virtual CDROM drive should I want
to try and upgrade from 8 to 9.

Right now I have SunOS 4 installed on part A where I reproduced a Seagate
Elite 9; it's set as target 1 (Disk 1).
One thing about using a large drive one can't use the quick install option.
Doing the the custom install doesn't take that much longer but what is missed
is having everything setup so auto-magically.   For a sun newbie like myself
having to manually create users, home directories and linking everything
properly is time consuming.   I am not sure sometime for example I am not sure
I get the error can not access /etc/openwin when I enter openwin and sometimes
it works perfectly.   This implies that my path variable may still need a
little work but didn't want to mess with it any more.  I have set the next set
to a 32gb Disk on target 2 as the potential 3rd party OS.  Target 3 (Disk 0)
is set as 80gb which is currently is where I planning to install Solaris 8.

I think the disk suite would be something for sure to look into especially if
I decide I want to stick to SunOS 4.   I haven't tried Solaris 8 yet, the
media kit has some pretty nice pack-ins that I am looking forward to trying.

> Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 18:07:01 -0500
> From: adh at an.bradford.ma.us
> To: rescue at sunhelp.org
> Subject: Re: [rescue] SCSI2SD formatting
>
> " From: CLIFFORD HAIGHT <klemish at hotmail.com>
> "
> " []
> "
> " After that I got a Conner CFP1080SN which was picked right away as a
SUN1.02.