[rescue] SCSI2SD formatting

Romain Dolbeau romain at dolbeau.org
Fri Feb 19 13:04:28 CST 2016

> I picked one of these up after buy some larger scsi drive and having them
> not
> last long....
> As I understand SunOS has limitation of 2GB per partition but the root
> partition must be 1 gb and first.

I would suggest that using the SCSI2SD software, you define one or more
disk(s) (with one at ID3 for boot to make your life easier) that have the
size
of a "real" sun disk, i.e.:

disk_type = "SUN2.1G" \
        : ctlr = SCSI : fmt_time = 4 \
        : ncyl = 2733 : acyl = 2 : pcyl = 3500 : nhead = 19 : nsect = 80 \
        : rpm = 5400 : bpt = 44823

-> create disk(s) of (2733+2)*19*80 = 4157200 sectors = 2128486400 bytes
(IIRC...) and then format it as a SUN2.1G. I'm not sure what happens if
you format as a SUN2.1G something bigger, and 12+G disks aren't going
to work well in SunOS I think.

Beware that SunOS hard-code in the kernel which SCSI target is what
(disk, tape, cdrom, ...) so if you fill all your SCSI IDs with "virtual"
disks,
you may need the rebuild the kernel to access them all. And you're probably
limited to 7 disks, since I don't think SunOS can have one disk per lun
(or SCSI2SD, for that matter :-)

Good luck & cordially,

--
Romain Dolbeau