[rescue] newest rescue (failure/success/failure)

Walter Belgers walter+rescue at belgers.com
Sat Feb 6 06:17:12 CST 2016

So I spent a few hours on the 3/470.

First a visual inspection of the boards. I took out all board and found a
small component on the floor. Oops! But the component was clearly not an
eighties component, so it must have fallen out of another system. The boards
looked fine (a few bent pins but nothing serious). I replaced the battery on
the CPU board. Using documentation, I figured out which board to put where.
Slot 1 already held a memory board, slot 2/3/4/5/6 were empty and the rest had
fillers. I put the remaining memory board in slot 2, the CPU in 4/5 and SCSI
in 6. This matched the backplane jumpers. Given the number of filler plates
that came with it, no boards appear to be missing.

I hooked up a serial console and powered up in diag mode.

Here is what I got:

Pegasus Boot PROM Selftest
[..]
IOC Random Data Block Read (Central Cache on) Test {pass 0x00000001}
<P4 Lego Color Video board [00000060] detected>
P4 Overlay Frame Buffer Write/Write/Read Test {pass 0x00000001}
 Unexpected bus error, address=50800000, a5=50800000
 Unexpected bus error, address=50800000, a5=50800004
 Unexpected bus error, address=50800004, a5=50800008

The LEDs were 1010111.

This kept going. I expected a memory board problem and tried to start it with
only one memory board (and tried both) to no avail. Since the error occured
just after probing the P4 board, I then removed the frame buffer and tried
again. Lo and behold:

Sun Workstation, Model Sun-3/400 Series.
ROM Rev 2.9.3, 32MB memory installed, Serial #1840.
Ethernet address 8:0:20:6:E7:72, Host ID 41000730.

Success! The Dataram board appears to hold 24MB RAM, nice!

I did find an old memory board lying around and tried to put it in slot 3.

Sun Workstation, Model Sun-3/400 Series.
ROM Rev 2.9.3, 40MB memory installed, Serial #1840.
Ethernet address 8:0:20:6:E7:72, Host ID 41000730.

\o/

Although there are two SCSI drives in the machine, it wanted to netboot. I
cannot remember the commands to find discs (this is pre probe-scsi). But first
I decided to check the P4 board and see if I could get it to work, too. I took
out all ICs that were in sockets and reseated them. Then I put it back on the
CPU board. Now I got, very early in the boot process:

Memory Write/Write/Read Test {pass 0x00000001}
 addr 0x00000000: exp 0x00000000, obs 0x10000000

The LEDs are 0010001

I took out the P4 board, but the error remains. I took out memory board 3 and
2, but the error remains. I reseated the CPU board but the error remains.
Aargh, what is happening? I cannot get it to work any more :(

When it is giving the error, I can press ESC and the memory test starts. When
it is completed, the system resets. Sometimes the value of obs is 0x50200000.
Sometimes it is not obs=.. but a5=0x00000000. I have pulled out the SCSI card
but that has no effect.