[rescue] newest rescue

Chase Rayfield cusbrar2 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 3 21:51:31 CST 2016

Regarding the SE/30 you don't need to scavenge a IIsi rom any more... you can just buy a programmable simm the upside is it allows you to put a bootdisk in the rom also... as well as change the boot logo and other hacks. (I just checked and the rom simms are sold out but it's open source so shouldn't be hard to make on your own.) My SE/30 is currently half working... the scsi subsystem is damaged though I have a replacement scsi controller I need to make sure none of the traces are damaged before installing it.

I don't think there is much sense in putting more than 32MB in an SE/30 except for perhaps A/UX but even then I think you'd be hard pressed to find a program to use that much memory... which reminds me the rom simm hack I mentioned allows you to disable the memory check so it boots faster if you do have 128Mb installed.

https://mac68k.info/wiki/display/mac68k/Hobbyist+Classic+Mac+Products

I've been contemplating reproducing the Ethernet card, from the official schematics, for the AT&T Unix pc the s4bus specs don't provide a physical connector drawing though so I'm dreading cracking it open to have a look at it, I think it is just header pins on the board with an IDC like connector on the expansion board but I have no way of being sure. Mine has a 40Mb drive but have no way of getting data on and off of it easily at the moment ( I have a 5 1/4 floppy drive but haven't installed it in anything yet). I was looking at buying the development tools on ebay but turns out the images are on the net which makes sense as they are quite hard to come by... though oddly not as hard to find as Mac OS classic 68k versions of MetroWerks!

The AT&t 7300/3b1 Unix PC is quite nifty... 10Mhz 68010 processor up to 4Mb ram I think mine has 2Mb currently. It's possible to do graphics... and there were answering machine expansion cards in addition to the built in phone contacts list. There was a DOS card... but I don't find that very interesting personally. It's worth noting that the s4bus is pretty bad... it apparently hits the cpu pretty hard interrupt wise so 19200 serial and Ethernet bog it down.

Also on the back burner is helping out with the altera port of temlib (Full Sparcstation in FPGA)... I'm stuck on the hdmi controller initialization :/ which is apparently quite complex due to having to query the hdmi device to find out what modes it can handle. II imagine there is a common mode most monitor/TVs support but I don't know what it is. http://temlib.org/site/