[rescue] newest rescue

John Hudak jjhudak at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 12:12:08 CST 2016

Hi, and thanks for the critique...yea, 'toys' may have been a bit harsh and
a little inaccurate....'castrated' may have been better.   So....
"The SE/30 was also a great machine because it was a 68030 (so integrated
PMMU) with a 68882 FPU and a 32-bit PDS slot that could take a variety of
expansion cards and accelerators as well (color video cards, networking
cards, CPU accelerators, etc.)  It could also take a maximum of 128MB of
RAM. And if you can track down an early era IIsi, it's 32-bit clean ROM is
on a card and can be swapped into an SE/30 to make it 32-bit clean. In my
experience both the IIci and SE/30 ran NetBSD well."

Can you elaborate on this a bit? (not to hijack this thread). You are
saying to get full 32 bit address space I need to get the 32bit enabled
ROM?  I thought the address li nes were not even there?
Can one still get NetBSD for the SE30?
Am interested as sometime in the future am considering setting up a MOF
server to install an OS on some bare metal VAXes I have.  In any event,
just having the SE30 fired up again would be cool.
Thanks