[rescue] newest rescue

Nathan Raymond nraymond at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 10:59:48 CST 2016

Thanks for the info everyone, I have a better sense of the 680x0 Suns now!

John, regarding the Macs of that era, I wouldn't say Apple was making
'toys', but they had some issues around their software stack and legacy
support issues. When I got into 680x0 Macs, Apple had 24-bit color with
multiple monitor support and arbitrary resolutions and arrangements, 32-bit
addressing, multitasking (though only cooperative) and virtual memory. FPUs
were actually standard in Macs for a long time, starting with the Mac II,
and only started to be omitted much later when Apple made more of a
consumer push with the LC and IIsi line and started to do cost cutting. You
may be thinking of the fact that the Mac II included Apple's MMU in the MMU
socket rather than the Motorola PMMU, and Apple's MMU didn't support
virtual memory, so you'd have to replace it and upgrade the ROM to use
virtual memory in later OS releases. While Apple didn't initially include
TCP/IP with their OS, it was part of System 6 starting in 1988 and later on
Apple added TCP/IP support to their filesharing with AppleShare IP.

RAM was very expensive back then so while in hindsight it was a mistake to
release computers with 32-bit processors but only do 24-bit addressing on
them, I can understand why it happened. The IIci was when Apple cleaned up
the architecture, being the first Mac with a 32-bit clean ROM. With it's
support of up to 128MB of RAM, three NuBus expansion slots, and a PDS
expansion slot that came with an L2 cache card for the processor and could
be used for any number of upgrades (I have a 50Mhz 68030 accelerator in
mine right now), it was a very capable machine. Expansion card options
included 100Base-T ethernet, video cards, DSPs, sound cards, and of course
the MacIvory Lisp Machine. There was even a version of the IIci that Apple
made for the government/military which took ECC RAM.

The SE/30 was also a great machine because it was a 68030 (so integrated
PMMU) with a 68882 FPU and a 32-bit PDS slot that could take a variety of
expansion cards and accelerators as well (color video cards, networking
cards, CPU accelerators, etc.)  It could also take a maximum of 128MB of
RAM. And if you can track down an early era IIsi, it's 32-bit clean ROM is
on a card and can be swapped into an SE/30 to make it 32-bit clean. In my
experience both the IIci and SE/30 ran NetBSD well.

The IIfx was great because not only was it a 40Mhz '030, but lots of
co-processors for I/O and under AU/X had full DMA support to offload most
of the I/O. Unfortunately nobody has ever supported all the IIfx DMA under
NetBSD, so it's really just a good AU/X machine. My understanding is that
there was a lot of AU/X at NASA at one point.

NeXT hardware was great because it was like the IIfx but better, with every
NeXT having a Motorola DSP co-processor and a cube with the NeXTDimension
video card being an amazing device with terrific video in and out
capabilities and capable of offloading the Display PostScript work from the
rest of the system. And while I've never seen a comprehensive comparison of
AU/X against NeXTSTEP from that era, I think NeXTSTEP would come out on
top, not least of which because of it's good development environment.

It'd be fun to set up a 68030 Sun, Mac IIfx running AU/X, and NeXT Cube up
and see how they'd all do in a variety of tasks!