[rescue] NTP and Fuzzballs, was Re: Linux wet paint, was Re: Spark10 CPU question (must fix - SPARC damnit :-) )

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Dec 23 16:24:57 CST 2016

On 12/23/2016 05:10 PM, Carl R. Friend wrote:

>>> I run full ntpd on everything non-trivial that I run, and I provide a
>>> stratum-0 timesource.
>>
>>   Same here, and same here. (and I assume you mean stratum-1)
>
>    Doesn't everybody who actually cares?
>
>    In any event, primary time-sources (like radio-clocks and GPS
> receivers) get declared at stratum-0 and the resulting server that's
> connected to them becomes a stratum-1

  Yes.  But my desktop doesn't sync to my GPS receiver, it syncs to the
computer that's wrapped around it. ;)  (Datum Tymserve 2100)

>    I've run a stratum-1 server continuously at home since 2002 save
> for the disruption in 2015 when a long-term relationship went to Hell
> and I had to move under less than optimal conditions.  NTP is fun;
> the key is to have a mix of sources and do peering as much as possible
> for your local sources.

  Yes.  The uninitiated often don't understand how it could be fun, but
it really is!

>    At some point, I really want to try lighting up a fuzzball.

  Me too!  Let me know if you decide to finally get to that; maybe we
could do it collaboratively.

  (that's on-topic!)

           -Dave

--