[rescue] Linux wet paint, was Re: Spark10 CPU question (must fix - SPARC damnit :-) )

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Fri Dec 23 16:10:21 CST 2016

On 12/23/2016 03:15 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On 12/23/2016 12:43 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>>>
>>>   I run ntpd on my Suns. (obOnTopic)
>>
>> I run full ntpd on everything non-trivial that I run, and I provide a
>> stratum-0 timesource.
>
>   Same here, and same here. (and I assume you mean stratum-1)

    Doesn't everybody who actually cares?

    In any event, primary time-sources (like radio-clocks and GPS
receivers) get declared at stratum-0 and the resulting server that's
connected to them becomes a stratum-1.

    I've run a stratum-1 server continuously at home since 2002 save
for the disruption in 2015 when a long-term relationship went to Hell
and I had to move under less than optimal conditions.  NTP is fun;
the key is to have a mix of sources and do peering as much as possible
for your local sources.

    At some point, I really want to try lighting up a fuzzball.

    Cheers.