[rescue] Linux wet paint, was Re: Spark10 CPU question (must fix - SPARC damnit :-) )

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 09:28:44 CST 2016

On 23 December 2016 at 11:06, Toby Thain <toby at telegraphics.com.au> wrote:
> On 2016-12-22 4:27 PM, Liam Proven wrote:

>> It *must* by simple deductive logic have strong arguments going for it
>> or not everyone would be leaping aboard the boat.
>>

> You can't be serious. Look around you.

I am serious. List the major distros _not_ adopting systemd.

There's, er, well, er, there's Slackware, and, um, PCLinuxOS,
TinyCore, Slitaz...

Seriously. Only tiny niche players are not going systemd.

http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Red Hat, Debian, SUSE, Ubuntu. Anyone with user bases in the 6-7
digits is using systemd.

I am hearing a lot of FUD. It's not monolithic, it can log to anything
you want, etc.

Its creator debunked a lot of the FUD but nobody cares.

http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/the-biggest-myths.html

I think it's a good thing. If it gets people to move to *BSD, great.
That's more life in the *BSD communities, it's more investment, more
development, etc. If it causes more diversity, I am all for it. If
something that makes my computer boot faster improves OS diversity,
double win!

I don't interact with init systems directly. Haven't done since the
1980s. I never understood the baroque nightmare of the SysV init. BSD
init I could work with.

Now it's all gone? Suits me fine.

--
Liam Proven b" Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lproven at cix.co.uk b" Google Mail/Talk/Plus: lproven at gmail.com
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven b" Skype/LinkedIn/AIM/Yahoo: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 b" DR/WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal: +420 702 829 053