[rescue] rescue Digest, Vol 169, Issue 51

Fred fred at MISER.MISERNET.NET
Thu Dec 22 08:37:04 CST 2016

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 rescue-request at sunhelp.org wrote:

> Message: 5
> Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2016 23:39:53 -0800
> From: Chris Hanson <cmhanson at eschatologist.net>
> Subject: Re: [rescue] iAPX-432, was Re:  sparc10 cpu - what to do.
>
> I always thought it was quite well-known, just that the general use of AS/400
> hasnbt been to run interesting software like Smalltalk. I think I remember
> that IBM VisualAge Smalltalk could target AS/400.

All this talk of AS/400 has put that machine back to the top of my "want
list".  I've missed out on a couple of auctions lately, decent (either
upgraded or retired) systems for crazy low money. (The last one, a
9406-800 ( I think ) complete with drives, decent amount of memory, and a
not-too old version of OS/400, went for $200ish.  Shipping was of course,
a bit of a killer)

Unfortunately now all I see is resellers asking WAY too much for a system
that will essentially be used by 1-3 people at most.  The good prices of
course are missing drives, memory, OS, other parts (or any combination).
... or they look like "too vintage" to actually do anything fun with them.
(other than perhaps be single user, which means they wouldn't be turned on
much ....)

Just have to keep looking ....

Fred