[rescue] VAX 11/750s - Re: Linux wet paint, was Re: Spark10 CPU question (must fix - SPARC damnit :-) )

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Dec 19 15:42:39 CST 2016

On 12/19/2016 01:32 AM, Ian Finder wrote:
> Replacements? You basically got only 4 options, these days. And I don't
> think android is a replacement for solaris- how'd we get on that... ;)

  Because Android is Linux underneath, and we were discussing the
relative merits of Linux in general, in the context of the possible
impending orphaning of Solaris.

> The 11/750s seem to all develop some kind of power supply gremlins.
> Definitely a weak point.

  Yes. :-(

> As of last week it was happily runing, but one of the supplies died on
> Wednesday- I disconnected the logic today in preparation for load testing.
>
> Fingers crossed it's just caps, but I definitely smelled something funny.
>
> Anyone else out there have experience with these seemingly tempermental
> supplies?

  I've not worked on one, but when I managed one commercially we had
power supply work done on it twice in as many years.  Other than that it
was rock solid.

  How difficult is it to run that power supply outside of the main
chassis, have you done that?

  What are you doing for a TU58 drive on yours, did you repair it, are
you using a tape emulator, or is it by some miracle still functional?

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA