[rescue] Linux wet paint, was Re: Spark10 CPU question (must fix - SPARC damnit :-) )

Stefan Skoglund (lokal användare) stefan.skoglund at agj.net
Sun Dec 18 05:00:12 CST 2016

lC6r 2016-12-17 klockan 18:12 -0500 skrev Andrew Jones:
> On 12/17/2016 05:54 PM, Stefan Skoglund (lokal anvdndare) wrote:
>  >
> > Which the new tablet/smartphone (and javascript) metaphor of GNOME 3 the
> > new developers basically just threw it all away - it was believed
> > simpler to redo Sun's work...
> >
> > Which means that GNOME 3 accessibility isnt up to what it should be.
> >
> > This is also an example of the occasional occurences of "wet paint".
> >
> > Jamie Zawinski was 13 years ago very unhappy about the block closure of
> > a number of his GNOME 1 era bug reports - and the new developers didn't
> > care to check if their new code had the same types of blemishes (bugs.)
>
> Was it really better to have CDE with only critical bug fixes and no new
> features for 20 years?
>
> I mean, CDE was fine, but it was fairly plain that it was not actively
> developed past 1995 or so.

What i meaned is that Sun had a fair commitment towards improving the
Linux and SunOS user application landscape (GNOME 1/GNOME 2 era suite
was and is (?) a big part of the user environment in SunOS/Solaris.)

The change in metaphor meant that a big part of Sun's involvement in
GNOME went out the window (from then on they were on their own with
regards to bug fixing - everyone else with a long time commitment to
GNOME 2 was in the same boat.)