[rescue] Linux wet paint, was Re: Spark10 CPU question (must fix - SPARC damnit :-) )

Stefan Skoglund (lokal användare) stefan.skoglund at agj.net
Sat Dec 17 16:54:04 CST 2016

lC6r 2016-12-17 klockan 23:00 +0200 skrev Meelis Roos:
> Sun engineering culture looked to be great. Even the manuals are a sign
> of it, and they have given good impressions on QA thoroughness in
> addition to the engineering itself.
>
> As OS internals and engineering go, I like Solaris very much. On the
> other hand, the usability of Solaris has alwas suprised me in negative
> ways - especially from Linux users viewpoint.

Haa, Sun made a fairly big commitment toward usability and accessibility
in GNOME from version 1 until end of GNOME 2 development. Including
writing a fair amount of the code in atk and the corresponding
documentation.

Which the new tablet/smartphone (and javascript) metaphor of GNOME 3 the
new developers basically just threw it all away - it was believed
simpler to redo Sun's work...

Which means that GNOME 3 accessibility isnt up to what it should be.

This is also an example of the occasional occurences of "wet paint".

Jamie Zawinski was 13 years ago very unhappy about the block closure of
a number of his GNOME 1 era bug reports - and the new developers didn't
care to check if their new code had the same types of blemishes (bugs.)