[rescue] Linux wet paint, was Re: Spark10 CPU question (must fix - SPARC damnit :-) )

Meelis Roos mroos at linux.ee
Sat Dec 17 15:00:23 CST 2016

> Most Linux code is written by professionals, not enthusiasts. Intel, Red Hat,
> Samsung, IBM, all have large, full-time teams working on the Linux kernel.

True, but it rather illustrates the point - many different
agendas/interests, no central control over what is done. As Linus once
described, steering of Linux development is not as much a project
management but more like herding cats.

> Solaris was also written by an extremely large team, reflecting diverse
> interests inside Sun.   Perhaps obviously, Sun Microelectronics, SunSoft, and
> the compilers team all had slightly different needs from the "Solaris"
> project.

Sun engineering culture looked to be great. Even the manuals are a sign
of it, and they have given good impressions on QA thoroughness in
addition to the engineering itself.

As OS internals and engineering go, I like Solaris very much. On the
other hand, the usability of Solaris has alwas suprised me in negative
ways - especially from Linux users viewpoint.

--
Meelis Roos (mroos at linux.ee)