[rescue] sparc10 cpu - what to do.

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Dec 16 15:09:17 CST 2016

On 12/16/2016 04:03 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>>   What really helped to kill SPARCs, assuming they've actually been
>> killed (I've seen no formal announcement of their discontinuance), is
>> PeeCee fanboys.
>
> To be fair, how much of that was because there was no Sparc hardware
> available that could be had for remotely comparable prices, and no OS
> available for it that you could run either widely-used application
> software or non-trivial games on?

  Well yeah, and we live in a society where Wal*Mart and McDonald's are
celebrated.  PeeCees being everywhere just fits.

> The closest thing to a commodity
> Sparc PC was the U10, and let's face it, pretty much all of us love to
> hate the U10.

  Very true.

> Desktop PC sales were overwhelmingly driven by business, and business
> didn't want to put a Sparc/MIPS/Alpha based Unix workstation on every
> desk.  Really, that's what killed Sun, and SGI, and Digital.

  Except that all of the above made far more server hardware than
workstation hardware, except for Sun, in the beginning.  Later, as you
well know, they moved entirely into the server world.  These guys
weren't particularly *trying* to compete with desktop PCs.

               -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA