[rescue] sparc10 cpu - what to do.

Phil Stracchino phils at caerllewys.net
Fri Dec 16 15:03:09 CST 2016

On 12/16/16 15:53, Dave McGuire wrote:
>   What really helped to kill SPARCs, assuming they've actually been
> killed (I've seen no formal announcement of their discontinuance), is
> PeeCee fanboys.

To be fair, how much of that was because there was no Sparc hardware
available that could be had for remotely comparable prices, and no OS
available for it that you could run either widely-used application
software or non-trivial games on?  The closest thing to a commodity
Sparc PC was the U10, and let's face it, pretty much all of us love to
hate the U10.

Desktop PC sales were overwhelmingly driven by business, and business
didn't want to put a Sparc/MIPS/Alpha based Unix workstation on every
desk.  Really, that's what killed Sun, and SGI, and Digital.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  phils at caerllewys.net