[rescue] Linux wet paint, was Re: Spark10 CPU question (must fix - SPARC damnit :-) )

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Dec 16 11:55:30 CST 2016

On 12/15/2016 09:07 PM, Mark Brown wrote:
> Linux.  There is nothing -really- wrong with Linux. It's a little
> utilitarian. Almost too much of a good thing. It's in our TV's and in
> our phones. Who thought that was going to happen 20 years ago? It seems
> to take up new features pretty quick, and the paint is always a bit wet,
> either in the kernel, applications or even within the distribution.  I
> think it's always been like that, and I'm not convinced it will ever be
> better.  The paint around a feature will cure, but there is always wet
> paint somewhere.

  I attribute this to a simple lack of discipline.  Working on stability
and cleanup, or drying the paint, isn't as much fun as working on the
next whiz-bang feature.

  One thing that the Linux developer crowd seems to have a lot of fun
doing is getting rid of "old crufty stuff" (read: proven, standard
stuff) and replacing them with "better ideas" (from kids who are
brilliant but who don't yet have enough experience to know what not to
do) that are somehow better but they can never quite tell you why.
Systemd comes to mind here.

  It's all about maturity and discipline, two things that are sometimes
lacking in that world.

              -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ