[rescue] [geeks] Solaris being discontinued? Rumors flying

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Dec 8 14:47:27 CST 2016

> On 8 Dec 2016, at 12:10 PM, Tom Manos <tmanos at concursive.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Shannon, it's been a while. Hope you are well.

Hey there, yes it has been awhile.

> If you're saying what I think you're saying, I agree with you 100%.
>
> I've used most of the Unices out there over the years, and mostly use
> Windoze and OS X for work. CentOS on the server side.
>
> It's all good and runs really well, but I can't say that it's fun from day
> to day.

[ snip ]

Yes, what you said is pretty much what I meant.

I rememer your system, and Bill Robertbs system, waggen. For quite awhile my
email address was:
	chrysanthemum!waggen!escape!shendrix

b&because chrystanthemum was ODUbs UUCP node and it was in the network
maps, so I could get email. It was expensive and a little funky, but UUCP
networks made you feel like you were part of something.

Likewise public access systems like yours.

I canbt remember any of the social systems I have used recently, and in most
cases I never b
knowb
 the machines I am using. Most of the time you are
borrowing time on a cluster of systems which might even change constantly
while you use the software.

By contrast, I still remember details about Oxgate, the multi-user CP/M system
I used back in the 80s. There was Oxgate, Williamsburg TBBS, Enchanted Forest,
Exchange. On the minicomputer front there was SIMTEL, DOCKMASTER, and
Cambria.

My Apple iPad has orders of magnitude more processing power than any of those
machines, but I donbt think of it like I did those systems.

> Interestingly, I still run SVR4 here at home, and I have it set up almost
> exactly like it was in the old Wyvern days, before it turned into Infinet,
> and got large and boring.

Yesb& amazing the people who converged at the original TWUUG and ended up
working there, before it became a local Linux user group.

> It was nice to see your name on a post.

Likewise.