[rescue] [geeks] Solaris being discontinued? Rumors flying

Tom Manos tmanos at concursive.com
Thu Dec 8 11:10:38 CST 2016

Hi Shannon, it's been a while. Hope you are well.

If you're saying what I think you're saying, I agree with you 100%.

I've used most of the Unices out there over the years, and mostly use
Windoze and OS X for work. CentOS on the server side.

It's all good and runs really well, but I can't say that it's fun from day
to day.

Back in the late '80s and early '90s, before the ISPs really got rolling, I
ran a public access Unix system. It was all modem and terminal based, of
course, and I didn't have money for Sun equipment, so I ran on Intel and
SVR2/3/4 over the years.

That is the last time that I can say I REALLY had fun with computers and
Unix. We had a group of folks who were mostly technically inclined and who
loved my little timesharing system and email and Usenet, and even a little
BBS.

What a hoot that was.

Later, when it became a real (and really big) ISP, it wasn't as much fun,
although we had the money to play with MUCH more powerful technology. It's
never been the same.

Interestingly, I still run SVR4 here at home, and I have it set up almost
exactly like it was in the old Wyvern days, before it turned into Infinet,
and got large and boring.

Funny how this has played out.

It was nice to see your name on a post.

Tom