[rescue] systemd, WAS: Solaris being discontinued? Rumors flying

JP Hindin jplist2008 at kiwigeek.com
Wed Dec 7 08:29:16 CST 2016

On Wed, 7 Dec 2016, Rich Kulawiec wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 07, 2016 at 03:17:01AM +0000, Joshua Boyd wrote:
>> I thought I saw that was something systemd was adding in the
>> near future [...]
>
> If not, it will soon enough.  The set of things that systemd will be
> adding will expand continuously until it approaches the set of things
> that are possible to do with a computing system.
>
> But at least it's established itself as the canonical counter-example to
> the Unix/software tools philosophy...so there's that.

So... what, exactly, is driving the adoption of systemd?

I was forced to use it on an Arch Linux distro I needed on a small SD
carded Pi and I hated it with a passion. While I can see some uses for
some of the things it brought into line (daemon restarts, PID tracking
automatically, etc)... I just don't understand why it's replaced what's
effectively a self-documenting SysV universe (with apologies to BSD style
people). And certainly with some minor additional tooling (Debian offered
these for the most part) you can still seemingly accomplish it all with
SysV, from what I've seen.

I have never met _anyone_ who had anything nice to say about systemd. But
someone must like it? RedHat might have political reasons to use it... but
Debian doesn't, and yet here we are.

What am I missing here? Who's more current in what's considered in fashion
in the UNIX world these days?

  - JP