[rescue] [geeks] Solaris being discontinued? Rumors flying

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Dec 6 12:54:53 CST 2016

On 12/06/2016 11:00 AM, Scott Quinn wrote:
> It's odd, now I'm kind of mourning the end of Solaris (though I haven't used 11 yet - no SPARCs new enough
> and not enough spare cash), but it had some neat features. When SU moved to it back in '97-ish I was cursing it out
> because I liked SunOS. How things change. Perhaps in 15 years I'll be waxing rhapsodic about Unity - but I doubt it.

  Well, remember Solaris really sucked in the beginning.  The first
stable release was 2.6, the first usable release was 7, and the first
approaching-nice release was 8, in my experience.  I railed against it
very loudly in the early days, and as of 9, I love it dearly.  There's
not much software out there that I'd risk my dinner on, but Solaris is
on that very short list.  Back in the 2.3 days I never thought I'd see
myself type that.

  The five or six people who don't think Unity sucks will still have it
if they want it, because the source code is out there.  I doubt that'll
be the case for Solaris, unless someone values history and their field
over their job and leaks it before they leave.  That really needs to happen.

              -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA