[rescue] [geeks] Solaris being discontinued? Rumors flying

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 04:51:05 CST 2016

On 4 December 2016 at 00:31, John Hudak <jjhudak at gmail.com> wrote:
> I hated Ubuntus klugey/inefficient UI that they touted as the 'next big
> thing'...so bad, I cant remember what it was called.

It's called Unity.

I am not telling you that you're wrong or not entitled to your
opinion, but it's been my daily-driver desktop since 2011 and I
personally find it the best Linux desktop out there. It's fast,
efficient, neat and good-looking. It's not very customisable but good
enough for me.

My reaction to GNOME Shell, OTOH, was something similar to what you
and Dave McGuire describe. When I worked for Red Hat, I lasted about 3
days with GNOME 3 before switching to Xfce. I find that old-fashioned,
clunky and a bit plain, but it works and it does the job. It's now my
go-to desktop on Fedora, Debian and Arch... but then I don't actually
use any of them routinely. It's Ubuntu all the way, because it causes
me less hassle than any other distro.

Unity is basically a decent-ish clone of the Mac OS X desktop with
some added features -- e.g. you can open a new window from any
Launcher icon by middle-clicking it, you can see how many instances
are open from the little LED-like indicators next to the icon, and in
a nifty feature lifted from Windows (but which I'd never noticed),
Super+1/2/3/4 etc launched that numbered icon from the launcher. I use
all of these daily.

--
Liam Proven b" Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lproven at cix.co.uk b" Google Mail/Talk/Plus: lproven at gmail.com
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven b" Skype/LinkedIn/AIM/Yahoo: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 b" DR/WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal: +420 702 829 053