[rescue] [geeks] Solaris being discontinued? Rumors flying

Jonathan Groll lists at groll.co.za
Mon Dec 5 00:32:12 CST 2016

On Sun, 4 Dec 2016 12:17:06 -0500, Rich Kulawiec <rsk at gsp.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 03, 2016 at 09:45:40AM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:
> > If your playing with Linux I'd suggest starting with Ubuntu to have
> > something which should install and get running quickly, then look at other
> > distributions later.
>
> Let me suggest LMDE -- Mint Linux, Debian Edition.  It still has the
> problem of systemd contamination, but it does have the advantage of
> running rather well as a desktop environment (in either MATE or
> Cinnamon versions) on older hardware.  Support for hardware hasn't
> been an issue modulo the Broadcom wireless chip family -- for which
> a serviceable workaround exists.

My main problem with Mint is that they're a bit hit-and-miss with
dist-upgrade - for the bigger upgrades, they tell you to wipe clean
and reinstall, don't they? May as well just run Debian, where all the
good hardware support comes from anyway and where you can keep on
upgrading without reinstalling for years...

Cheers,
Jonathan
--
jjg: Jonathan J. Groll : groll co za