[rescue] [geeks] Solaris being discontinued? Rumors flying

Rich Kulawiec rsk at gsp.org
Sun Dec 4 11:17:06 CST 2016

On Sat, Dec 03, 2016 at 09:45:40AM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:
> If your playing with Linux I'd suggest starting with Ubuntu to have
> something which should install and get running quickly, then look at other
> distributions later.

Let me suggest LMDE -- Mint Linux, Debian Edition.  It still has the
problem of systemd contamination, but it does have the advantage of
running rather well as a desktop environment (in either MATE or
Cinnamon versions) on older hardware.  Support for hardware hasn't
been an issue modulo the Broadcom wireless chip family -- for which
a serviceable workaround exists.

More broadly: Linux distributions have spent much of this century trying
to be Windows, instead of trying to be Unix.  This is a strategic error.

---rsk