[rescue] [geeks] Solaris being discontinued? Rumors flying

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sun Dec 4 10:03:20 CST 2016

On Sun, 4 Dec 2016, Jeff Cole wrote:

> parted would like a word with you

I suppose it's close, but the output is a lot harder to feed into a
script.  Specifically, I'm thinking of the output in terms of the scripts
I've written in the past, and if they could be written around the
standard tools on a Linux machine as easily.

For instance, I have a short Python script for FreeBSD called fmfd (find
my failing disk).  Given either a partition label, a slice id, or a disk
serial number, fmfd will give you enough information to find the disk in
the chassis and replace it.

parted would not be a friendly source of information for writing fmfd.  As
its name is partED, and not partINFO, that's acceptable, but my point
about gpart being both the most comprehensive and script-friendly stands.

--
Jonathan Patschke
Austin, TX