[rescue] [geeks] Solaris being discontinued? Rumors flying

Phil Stracchino phils at caerllewys.net
Sat Dec 3 20:59:43 CST 2016

On 12/03/16 17:14, Mark Linimon wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 03, 2016 at 12:08:47PM -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> much of the FreeBSD community seems to take pride in having a userspace
>> that seems to be ten to fifteen years behind the times.
>
> Well, one of the principles is that features only get dropped on major
> release (e.g. FreeBSD 11.0).  The churn rate is thus much lower than that
> for most Linux distributions.  Whether this is a good or bad thing depends
> on your point of view.

To be clear, I'm not talking about the latest shiny bling-bling desktop
environment.  I'm talking about things like common Unix cli utilities
that don't yet support command-line options that I've taken for granted
for ten years.

Now possibly some or even many these are GNU extensions, and possibly
FreeBSD does not wish to adopt those, and that's the choice of the
FreeBSD developers.  But what I don't understand is seemingly *taking
pride in* not supporting features that have become expected over the
last fifteen years or so.

Being new does not automatically make something good.  (Hell, just look
at systemd.)  But neither does being old automatically make it better.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  phils at caerllewys.net