[rescue] [geeks] Solaris being discontinued? Rumors flying

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Sat Dec 3 16:14:56 CST 2016

On Sat, Dec 03, 2016 at 12:08:47PM -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> much of the FreeBSD community seems to take pride in having a userspace
> that seems to be ten to fifteen years behind the times.

Well, one of the principles is that features only get dropped on major
release (e.g. FreeBSD 11.0).  The churn rate is thus much lower than that
for most Linux distributions.  Whether this is a good or bad thing depends
on your point of view.

> The last time I tried to do a FreeBSD install [... I] was told "We don't
> support Sun framebuffers and see no reason why we ever should.  Go away
> and stop bothering us."

There's no excuse for this, but every community has its own set of jerks.
Trying to reform people can be ... trying.

(I did my share of cat-herding there for years, and am now retired from it,
although I am still a developer.)

mcl