[rescue] [geeks] Solaris being discontinued? Rumors flying

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 16:26:52 CST 2016

On 3 December 2016 at 16:26, Doug McIntyre <merlyn at geeks.org> wrote:
> If you wanted to be more desktop, you may want to look at TrueOS first,
> but my main use is all server based.

TrueOS is the server fork of PC-BSD, more or less, as far as I can tell.

PC-BSD is a distribution of FreeBSD aimed at desktop use. Personally I
am happy with Ubuntu but I have tried PC-BSD in the past and it's
certainly the easiest way to install a FreeBSD desktop setup.

http://pcbsd.org/

There are other FreeBSD distros, such as MidnightBSD and GhostBSD.
I've tried them. MidnightBSD is very unfinished and seems to be a very
small team who have little time to give to it. GhostBSD is better but
lags behind the current FreeBSD release somewhat. I reckon PC-BSD is
therefore the best bet.

--
Liam Proven b" Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lproven at cix.co.uk b" Google Mail/Talk/Plus: lproven at gmail.com
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven b" Skype/LinkedIn/AIM/Yahoo: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 b" DR/WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal: +420 702 829 053