[rescue] FreeBSD, was Re: [geeks] Solaris being discontinued? Rumors flying

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Dec 3 16:54:49 CST 2016

On 12/03/2016 05:40 PM, Kevin Bowling wrote:
> I don't think you've even done platform development, your comments
> certainly don't paint that picture.

  I'm an embedded systems developer.  But I do know what's involved.

  I did not mean to put you on the defensive.  I'm annoyed at the (in my
opinion) suitly stupidity of Oracle, and I'm annoyed at the (again, in
my opinion) apparent misguidedness (in a very small number of areas) of
the FreeBSD project management folks.  Nothing more.  I certainly did
not attack *you*, so I'm confused as to why you're trying to paint me as
someone who knows nothing about OS development.  If I offended you, I
apologize.

> sun4v is neat.  Nobody is going to really stop you from doing a port to
> *BSD or fleshing out Illumos, but I can guarantee you nobody is going to
> start working on it because you insulted the competence of other
> developers' priority alignment.  OpenBSD supports it fairly well
> http://www.openbsd.org/papers/eurobsdcon2011-kettenis.pdf.  OpenBSD also
> has low SMP scalability so YMMV but as an intellectual exercise outside of
> Solaris that seems fine.

  Yeah, OpenBSD is reasonably good stuff, but nowhere near as featureful
and capable as FreeBSD, IMO.  I'm not too much interested in OpenBSD on
"big" hardware.

               -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ