[rescue] FreeBSD, was Re: [geeks] Solaris being discontinued? Rumors flying

Kevin Bowling kevin.bowling at kev009.com
Sat Dec 3 16:40:10 CST 2016

I don't think you've even done platform development, your comments
certainly don't paint that picture.  It is grueling, unglamorous, and if
not done prior to launch of a large commercial effort a cost center for
everyone involved, including the opportunity cost when commercial and
especially volunteer systems developers are not exactly plentiful.  New
people interested in learning are going to focus on RISC-V or ARM boards
where they are volunteering their time for obvious reasons including
availability of cheap low power hardware, community interest, and mfg
support.

sun4v is neat.  Nobody is going to really stop you from doing a port to
*BSD or fleshing out Illumos, but I can guarantee you nobody is going to
start working on it because you insulted the competence of other
developers' priority alignment.  OpenBSD supports it fairly well
http://www.openbsd.org/papers/eurobsdcon2011-kettenis.pdf.  OpenBSD also
has low SMP scalability so YMMV but as an intellectual exercise outside of
Solaris that seems fine.