[rescue] Replacement NVRAM/clock for IPX, success + question

Romain Dolbeau romain at dolbeau.org
Wed Sep 23 11:06:24 CDT 2015

Hello,

If anyone is looking for a replacement NVRAM for a sun4c (in my case, a
recently salvaged IPX), I can confirm a working replacement is the Dallas
DS1642-85+ that I recently bought from mouser (sorry, french site):

<
http://www.mouser.fr/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=DS1642-85%2bvirtualkey66880000virtualkey700-DS1642-85%2b

They are quite expensive but they work, even though the (otherwise awesome
! thanks !) Sun NVRAM/hostid FAQ claims the DS1642 doesn't work perfectly
in an IPX. As far as I can tell, it posts fine and does everything it is
supposed to. I can even stop the clock as per the instructions in the FAQ,
so the battery might last a bit longer.

There is also a -100+ available which I suppose would be fine, but it was
more expensive for small quantities at the time I ordered the chip.

Related question: is it possible to recover the original hostid/MAC from
the barcode on the original chip? No actual need, just curious. 'c0ffee' is
fine, unless you have more than one old Sun on the same network :-)

Cordially,

--
Romain Dolbeau