[rescue] sun x4450 showing half the ram...

Jeremy Towers jeremy.towers at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 09:51:27 CDT 2015

 PARTS NOTE:
DIMM come always in pair. Also check p/n as it is not permitted to mix
different part numbers
inside the same DIMM group. Also check memory installations rules.

4.1.1 Identifying Faulty FB-DIMMs

The system fault LED lights if the system detects an FB-DIMM fault.

To identify faulty FB-DIMMs:

1. Power down the server.

2. Unplug all power cords from the rear panel.

3. Remove the top cover.

4. Press and hold the Remind button on the memory tray to identify
which FB-DIMM is faulty. (FIGURE 4-1)

4.1.2.1 FB-DIMM Placement

Refer to the service label on the cover for FB-DIMM placement information.

Start with Branch 0 (Channels A/B), then Branch 1 (Channels C/D).

Populate by Pair (A0/B0 then C0/D0, then A1/B1,...) of identical DIMMs.

Within each Channel:

Modules within a pair (A0/B0, C0/D0, A1/B1,...) must be identical with
respect to size, speed and organization.

Start with the slots with white handles (slot 0 of each channel).

Start with largest modules (4 GB then 2 GB...) if not all same capacity.

Both Channels from the same branch must contain the same number of
DIMMs (populated by pairs of identical DIMMs).

TABLE 4-1 Sun Fire X4450 DIMM Guideline Examples

Example 1
(10 DIMMS - 5 Pairs):

Example 2
(Minimum Configuration - 1 Pair)