[rescue] SS10 Accessories

Eddie Cottongim jcotton at intergate.net
Sat Nov 21 21:06:32 CST 2015

Thanks for all the input. I was, after many attempts, finally able to
net-boot my SS10 tonight.

Mostly this setup will just be for experimentation. I do want to try
some optimization tricks on it and see what kind of performance I can
get. Also, reading about GX/TGX framebuffers, they seem to have some
mysterious 3D capability that was never documented and rarely used (even
by Sun). I'd like to play around with that.

Out of curiosity, when Linux/Solaris etc dropped support for
sun4m/sun4c, is it because there was something inconvenient about the
architecture that they wanted to get rid of, or is it a case of not
having time/equipment to test it, so they dropped support, but it might
still work?

A few notes on hardware:
I happen to have an Iiyama 19" CRT which can do odd video resolutions,
but more importantly it has BNC inputs which I hope will provide nice
quality video.
I think having a real CD drive around is very useful (the net-boot
worked, but it took days to figure it out). It looks like SCSI CD/DVD
ROMs are available on ebay, so I may go for one of those once I find an
enclosure.

Eddie