[rescue] Good SOHO router for ASDL? (was: what is this traffic?)

Phil Stracchino phils at caerllewys.net
Wed Nov 4 07:10:10 CST 2015

On 11/04/15 08:04, microcode at zoho.com wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 04, 2015 at 07:28:20AM -0500, Steve Haavik wrote:
>> I've run monowall and now pfSense (https://www.pfsense.org/download/) at
>> work for years. I've been unimpressed by all of the consumer grade
>> firewall/routers that I've tried. My previous router at home was requiring
>> reboots every month or so. I've since moved and Verizon replaced it with a
>> new one that I'm expecting will have the same problem (starts choking
>> traffic until it gets rebooted) in a year or two.
>
> My wife already agreed to pay a couple bucks a month for a replacement
> router since the telco agreed to juggle the package so it works out
> microscopically cheaper than it was. I'll have to see what we get but I
> don't think it is a name brand.
>
> I do have a few boxes that would work great as routers but I couldn't stand
> the noise or the heat. Are you guys using affordable non-deafening
> cool-running hardware or are you comparing rack servers with consumer stuff?

I'm using a Ubiquiti Networks EdgeRouter 5 with Shorewall and Squid
installed.  It has two packet-optimized MIPS64 cores, I forget how much
RAM, runs Ubiquiti's EdgeOS which is a fork of Vyatta which is in turn
based off of Debian Linux, operates completely silently, draws 8W, and
Just Works.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications