[rescue] Good SOHO router for ASDL? (was: what is this traffic?)

microcode at zoho.com microcode at zoho.com
Wed Nov 4 07:04:34 CST 2015

On Wed, Nov 04, 2015 at 07:28:20AM -0500, Steve Haavik wrote:
> I've run monowall and now pfSense (https://www.pfsense.org/download/) at
> work for years. I've been unimpressed by all of the consumer grade
> firewall/routers that I've tried. My previous router at home was requiring
> reboots every month or so. I've since moved and Verizon replaced it with a
> new one that I'm expecting will have the same problem (starts choking
> traffic until it gets rebooted) in a year or two.

My wife already agreed to pay a couple bucks a month for a replacement
router since the telco agreed to juggle the package so it works out
microscopically cheaper than it was. I'll have to see what we get but I
don't think it is a name brand.

I do have a few boxes that would work great as routers but I couldn't stand
the noise or the heat. Are you guys using affordable non-deafening
cool-running hardware or are you comparing rack servers with consumer stuff?