[rescue] RPi vs SS20 benchmarks (interesting)

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.us
Wed Dec 30 16:09:19 CST 2015

On 12/30/15 03:07 PM, Jonathan Patschke wrote:

> Solaris 11 feels like the OS that Solaris 10 was a painful beta for, but
> managing it doesn't feel much like managing Unix.  That might not be a bad
> thing.
>
> I'd be inclined to run it instead of FreeBSD/amd64 at home and on
> consulting gigs, but Oracle's rapacious license fees stand in the way of
> that.

I'm a big *BSD fan myself, and its even better with a bootable ZFS root.

Solaris 9->10 had a lot of revolutionary changes, and moving from S10->S11 is a
lot more of the same.

If all this Solaris 11 discussion here has prompted anyone into possibly looking
into Solaris 11 a bit deeper, here is one resource I would highly recommend, in
addition to the standard Internet searches.

The Solaris 11 cheatsheet. www.c0t0d0s0.org is not a Sun/Oracle site, but it is
owned by an Oracle employee in Germany/Deutschland.

<http://www.c0t0d0s0.org/archives/7446-Solaris-11-cheatsheet-updated.html>

Rather than just jumping in and installing on your main box, VirtualBox is a
good place to become familiar with Solaris 11.

Many of your favorite commands are now gone, or have become redundant.

For example, ifconfig is still there, and you can use it to look at
current/existing network settings, but, dladm (layer 2) and ipadm (layer 3) are
the commands now used to create and manage interfaces and the IP addresses assigned.

another somewhat scary example is the /etc/resolv.conf file.  Solaris 10 and
prior, assuming you were using DNS name resolution, you would just edit the
/etc/resolv.conf file using your favorite Unix editor, and once saved, results
were typically immediate.

Now, in Solaris 11, the /etc/resolv.conf file is still there, but the system
doesn't reference it.   Here is a copy-n-paste I archived to update the DNS
resolver.

NOTE - the "listprop config" command at the beginning and end just is to show
and validate the current settings

IP addresses and domain names are modified to generic settings.

# svccfg -s network/dns/client listprop config

# svccfg -s network/dns/client setprop config/nameserver = net_address:
"(10.1.1.1 10.1.1.2)"

# svccfg -s network/dns/client setprop config/domain = astring: companya.corp

# svccfg -s network/dns/client setprop config/search = astring:
'("companya.corp" "companyb.corp" "companyc.corp" "companyd.corp")'

# svcadm refresh dns/client

# svccfg -s network/dns/client listprop config

And that, folks, is the equivalent to "vi /etc/resolv.conf" in Solaris 11 +

But, never take someone's word off of the Internet at face value.  The official
source is here:

<http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/servers-storage-admin/s11-network-config-1632927.html#SMF>