[rescue] RPi vs SS20 benchmarks (interesting)

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Tue Dec 29 20:05:59 CST 2015

On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 05:11:14PM +0000, Peter Corlett wrote:
> FreeBSD 10. It finally has a packaging system and ZFS is properly
> supported.

As a matter of fact, FreeBSD got ZFS before Linux did :-)  Thus, we've
had more time to work out the kinks.

> I can't speak for anything X related as I use it for servers.

X/KDE/Gnome packages are available, but support for the latest graphics
cards lags.  For instance, if you have a laptop that is less than 2
years old, you probably won't be able to use the fanciest graphics modes.

> No memory-related crashes at all, which rather surprised me given the
> combination of ZFS and 4GB of RAM.

Early on, ZFS was more greedy with memory than it is now.

Still, if you have large volumes and/or lots of snapshots, 4GB is not
going to be enough.

I do not recommend you go below 4GB unless you want to to learn a lot
about all the tuning knobs.  Similarly, stay with 64-bit machines.

People that just want to mess around with ZFS to see what it will do
might want to try FreeNAS (http://www.freenas.org/) which is based
on FreeBSD.

Finally, for the arm/mips targets, there are several cut-down versions
of FreeBSD.  If anyone is interested I can forward the info.

mcl