[rescue] RPi vs SS20 benchmarks (interesting)

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.us
Tue Dec 29 11:26:58 CST 2015

> On 27 December 2015 at 22:45, Bill Stivers <stiversb at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Anybody else got any leads on something fun, lightweight, and novel to hack
>> on?

Here are a few URL discussing both Solaris, and Solaris based distro's on ARM.
The post at the bottom is a copy-n-paste from Erik Trimble on the ZFS mailing
list dated 19 July 2009, stating that Sun had completed the Solaris port to ARM.

Enjoy,

<https://blogs.oracle.com/jimgris/entry/opensolaris_on_arm_a_japan>

<http://web.archive.org/web/20100219073038/http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/Project+osarm/WebHome>

<https://blogs.oracle.com/oslab/entry/solaris_11_on_arm_server#comment-1318412416700>

<http://solarisdesktop.blogspot.com/2013/02/illumos-on-raspberrypi.html>

<http://wiki.illumos.org/display/illumos/Raspberry+Pi+Bring-Up>

Open mouth, insert foot.

The ARM port is now functional (and available). I would assume (though I can't
verify) that ZFS support is part of the port.

There are a wide variety of ARM chips, in all sorts of stuff. Given the
performance characteristics of some of the stuff I've been playing with over the
last decade (and a pre-look at an ARM-based netbook), I'd have to say that any
currently-available single-chip ARM-based system isn't going to be good to run
OpenSolaris/ZFS on.

That said, I can certainly see some really, really good uses for ARM-based
microcontrollers as the guts of an HBA.   They're likely good enough to do
something like a tiny computer-on-a-board setup.  Think something like a Sun
7110-style system shrunk down to a PCI-E controller - you have a simple
host-based control program, hook a disk (or storage system) to the ARM HBA, and
you could have a nice little embedded ZFS system.

Either that, or if someone would figure out a way to have multiple-chip ARM
implementations (where they could spread out the load efficiently).

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support