[rescue] [off-topic] What was this markup language?

Andrew M Hoerter amh at pobox.com
Wed Dec 9 18:19:41 CST 2015

On 12/9/15 9:31, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> The proliferation of Markdown irritates me.  Yes, it's simple.  But
> every actual implementation I've yet encountered has been simple to the
> point of being brain-damaged.  Not least because they lack any provision
> for escaping characters.  Just try to put 'GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.*
> TO...' in a message on Slack for example.

No idea what Slack is, but pandoc produces a reasonable HTML file from
Markdown input containing your sample text (well, I added a
single-quoted argument at the end), using either the block-level or span
syntax for code samples.  I don't think it's entirely crazy to require
code or literal markup if you're embedding something from a different
language that will have its own, possibly conflicting syntactic characters.

It works in regular text too, if you escape the asterisks with a
backslash as per the "original" Markdown pseudo-spec.

Not that I have any deep emotional attachment to Markdown, mind you.
Maybe pandoc is simply higher quality than the average implementation?