[rescue] [off-topic] What was this markup language?

Phil Stracchino phils at caerllewys.net
Wed Dec 9 08:31:51 CST 2015

On 12/08/15 09:09, microcode at zoho.com wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 08, 2015 at 08:37:52AM -0500, Mouse wrote:
>
>>> Next question, other than LaTeX, are there any good choices in simple
>>> markup languages suitable for writing letters and resumes, etc.?
>>
>> I'm not sure I'd call LaTeX `simple', but me, no, I don't have anything
>> to suggest there.
>
> Yeah I didn't state that clearly. I didn't mean to imply LaTeX was simple. I
> meant, aside from LaTeX which seems to be the king of markup languages so is
> not something I want to get into at this point- are there any good and
> simple markup languages to look at?

Well, there's Markd.....     Oh.  Wait.  You said 'good'.

The proliferation of Markdown irritates me.  Yes, it's simple.  But
every actual implementation I've yet encountered has been simple to the
point of being brain-damaged.  Not least because they lack any provision
for escaping characters.  Just try to put 'GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.*
TO...' in a message on Slack for example.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  phils at caerllewys.net