[rescue] Cable Balls

r.stricklin bear at typewritten.org
Thu Sep 18 11:28:41 CDT 2014

On Sep 18, 2014, at 9:07 AM, Barry Callahan wrote:

> Centronics-50 was, in fact, a standard connector for SCSI cables.
> http://www.belkin.com/pyramid/AdvancedInfo/general/SCSI_Connectors.htm

Your evidence is not compelling. The Blue Ribbon connector was used on
Centronics printers, but that does not make every cable with a Blue Ribbon
connector a Centronics one.

That chart ALSO incorrectly refers to the 50-pin D-sub connector used on early
Sun and other workstations as a "DB 50". There is no such thing as a DB-50.
You can have a DB-25, or a DB-44, or even a DB-13W3. But the 50 pin D-sub is a
DD-50. The second letter refers to the shell size.

Just saying. I don't need to get into a debate about the nature of
communication and popular usage and all that. Yes, we all knew what you meant.
We nearly knew what the OP meant ("50 pin Centronics printer" is actually
moderately confusing). But if you're going to be pedantic, be CORRECT and
pedantic. Otherwise what's the point? Let it go. Probably best to let it go
anyway, because this is about the time when somebody else steps in to point
out some mistake I've made.

ok
bear.

--